Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Small-people mentality


Do you know that the United Kingdom is actually smaller than Malaysia (244,820 sq km and 329,750 sq km respectively - http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/)? Pardon me for being an ignoramus, I sure don’t until recently… and do you know that the United Kingdom has the highest asthma case percentage in the whole world? (Note – asthma is claimed to be a disease in which the sufferers are mainly clean people)

I am not sure about what others think (and I don’t care as well). As far as I’m concern, these facts are merely a small part of the pathetic attempt to maintain the world-power image that this small country have. And they have been working fine so far (I think). Or rather, to maintain the world-power thinking in their people. Why bother to look for facts when ‘facts’ are being served on the table? Ignoramus way of thinking i.e. taklid. I must admit though, I am in this category as well. Not so prone to take the trouble to look for facts. Accept it as it is. If asthma is the disease of the clean, then Singapore must have had the highest asthma case percentage (not asthma count) in the world. I have been to Singapore and damn, she was clean.



Nevertheless, regardless of whether or not the island of 'Great' Britain is purposely made to look proportionately larger than it is on atlas, or whether it is a mistake of my untrained eye, until recently I am unaware of the fact that tiny Malaysia is larger than the UK. Or putting it in a more accurate way, I have always thought that the UK is larger than Malaysia i.e. overestimating the hugeness of UK.

And I have asked around. And as far as those whom I have asked, none were aware of this simple fact. Most were like,"Aik, yeke?" or "Takkan kot?" even "Merepek ah ko."

Obviously, one can never be sure of something. Nonetheless one is entitled to make a hypothesis or theory rather as he pleases, so long that groundings to his argument is legitimate and sensible. And in this case, the theory that I could come out with is that we subconsciously look up to the 'greatness' of UK.

Well, it is a great country, in a sense. I certainly admire the people's classical politeness (most) and as far as the technology in this country is concerned, I think this country is one of the best (although currently lagging quite badly behind US, Japan, Korea, Germany etc). And the people that I work with here (referring to lecturers) are top notch, prestigious award winners, globally recognized people.

BUT, all those things have got nothing to do whatsoever with the literal size of UK. Possibly, the perceived size of UK among Malaysians (might not be true to all, even to most) might have come as a secondary mental effect due to the other literal greatness of UK i.e. tech, award winners, classical behaviour etc. A similar example would be of cor pulmonale happening secondary to pulmonary embolism =) Lung problems bringing about heart problem. Or probably a better example would be in people with heartburns; acid reflux perceived as heart condition due to the fact that it occurs at the same region i.e. inferior anterior middle aspect of the thorax a.k.a the chest.

(Before I blab any further I better finish my main topic of discussion =) )

This post-colonialism, or rather, in the wake of neo-colonialism era mentality must have rooted from the colonial era itself. Malaysians have long perceived UK-graduates as among the best in the market though the truth might not be so. Even during Merdeka Celebration back then earlier in August, TV adverts were showing stuffs about teachers graduating from England (Kirkby if I'm not mistaken). I am not saying that it was not a worthwhile advert, I'm just saying that we have been perceiving UK-graduates as awesome powerhouse ever since back then (which was very possibly true, considering the shortcomings at home in the 60s).

Nevertheless, subconscious thinking that lead to UK being larger than Malaysia do exist amongst us. I am not sure if it is a bad think or not, but as far as my wacky standard goes, it is a worthwhile-mentioning material.

Source - www.cia.gov

No comments: